Students should contact their supervisors regarding conducting design/graduation project course requirements. Students are expected to fill out the online project request form via the link below. The deadline for request form submission is October 10th, 2021, 11.59 pm, local time in Istanbul (GMT+3). Please note that even though the request form might be available online after the deadline (October 10th, 2021, 11.59 pm, GMT+3), only the requests that are submitted and registered prior to the deadline will be evaluated. Any submission that is registered after the deadline will NOT be taken into consideration.
Note that students should abide by the general guidelines described on [https://ww4.ticaret.edu.tr/ee/2019/10/24/design-project-graduation-project-assignments-for-19-20/]. In case no special set of rules defined by any supervisor, the general guidelines and responsibilities defined on [https://ww4.ticaret.edu.tr/ee/2019/10/24/design-project-graduation-project-assignments-for-19-20/] will prevail.
Project topics to be supervised by Cengiz Riva:
Each project can be taken at most two students.
- [CR] 2D Autonomous border/layout finding robot
- [CR] Wearable Technology Controlled Artificial Hand
- [CR] Smart Cellular Conveyor
- [CR] LoRaWAN multihop disaster communication system
- [CR] RF Energy harvesting telemetry
Project topics to be supervised by Fatih Üstüner:
- [FÜ] Comparison of Different Impedance Matching Techniques in High-Speed Digital Circuits
- Signal distribution is very important in designing a high-speed digital system, as the choice of interconnect structure affects the timing. Discontinuities and induced disturbances along the interconnect can enhance the total propagation delay beyond the specified limits. To avoid uncontrolled situations, it is important to choose the most suitable interconnect among defined standard structures, where signal waveforms and propagation delays can be easily evaluated. In this project, using SPICE time domain circuit analysis tool, different impedance matching networks will be investigated for different bus topologies and the results will be compared.
- [FÜ] Comparison of Different Crosstalk Prevention Techniques in High-Speed Digital Circuits
- Owing to the high density of traces in high-speed printed circuit boards and the fast rise and fall time of the switching devices, the electromagnetic coupling between adjacent lines, defined as crosstalk, is a very important topic. Crosstalk disrupts the integrity of the signal and thereby causes jitter, false switching, and timing problems. To mitigate crosstalk, several guidelines are present. The goal of this project is to investigate these mitigation guidelines and their effectiveness. Different crosstalk conficurations will be modelled and simulated by the combined use of an electromagnetic field solver and the SPICE time domain circuit analysis tool.
- [FÜ] The Effect of Different Grounding Techniques to The Radiated Emission Characteristics of Digital Circuits
- Grounding is a very critical point in designing an electronic system. Very often a non-expert designer makes the mistake of coping with the signal distribution current path in a PCB without considering its return path. The consequence is that the signal and its return current could form a large loop producing strong radiation or a dangerous interfering area. There are different grounding strategies that are used in PCBs and system design such as single-point, multi-point and hybrid grounding. Moreover, grounding a PCB to the metal enclosure of the electronic equipment (chassis) is a controversial issue from the radiated emission point of view. In this project, a digital circuit PCB will be designed (for example an embedded system) with different grounding strategies. PCBs with different layouts will be manufactured and the radiated emission from these different PCBs will be measured. The results will be compared and grounding guidelines for low emissivity will be derived.
- [FÜ] Modelling and Simulation of Higher Order Harmonics due to AC Motor Variable Speed Drives
- In an electric power system, harmonic frequencies of the AC power are produced by the action of non-linear loads such as variable speed drives. They are a frequent cause of power quality problems. Moreover, they may be the source of electromagnetic interference to the low frequency communication systems such as power line communication and induction loop communication. In this project, a three phase variable speed drive will be modelled using SPICE time domain circuit analysis tool and the level of harmonics up to 150 kHz will be investigated.
- [FÜ] Design and Development of an RF Spectrum Analyzer
- RF spectrum analyzers are used to analyze high frequency signals in the frequency domain. They are based on super-heterodyne type receiver principle. In this project an RF spectrum analyzer will be designed and simulated at system level. The RF building blocks of the spectrum analyzer will be designed and built.
- [FÜ] Design and Development of an Arbitrary Waveform Generator
- An arbitrary waveform generator (AWG) is an electronic test equipment used to generate electrical waveforms. The resulting waveforms can be injected into a device under test and analyzed as they progress through it, confirming the proper operation of the device or pinpointing a fault in it. The direct digital synthesis (DDS) technique is usually used in AWGs. In this project, an AWG will be designed and built.
- [FÜ] Design and Implementation of Energy Harvesting Device for IoT
- There is a rapid development in the field of millimeter-wave (mm-wave) and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies with a projected 40 billion IoT devices to be installed by 2025. These devices require energy to run. With the proliferation of 5G network, there will be electromagnetic energy at mmWave frequencies in the environment from which one can extract electrical energy to run low-power IoT devices. In this project, a special type of rectanna (rectifying antenna) will be designed and built to extract energy from 5G beams (A rectenna is a special type of receiving antenna that is used for converting electromagnetic energy into direct current (DC) electricity).
- [FÜ] Design and Implementation of a Thunderstorm Detector
- Natural atmospheric electric activity and, in particular, cloud-to-ground lightning poses a serious threat to living beings and property. Every year severe injuries and even deaths of humans are caused as a result of direct or indirect lightning strikes. To take precautionary measures to the lightning strike, the thunderstorm warning systems are used. These systems use several types of thunderstorm detectors. Some of them detect the electromagnetic radiation while others detect static electrification process. In this project, a suitable type of thunderstorm detector for early warning will be designed and built.
- [FÜ] Design and Development of an RF Electric Field Probe
- RF Electric field probes are used to measure high level electromagnetic fields for electromagnetic compatibility or radiation safety purposes. They are of broadband type and can measure field strengths from 1 V/m to over 1000 V/m. In this project, an isotropic electric field probe with fiber optic communication end will be designed and built.
- [FÜ] Design of a Transient Protected EMI Power Filter Matched with DC-DC Converter
- An EMI Power Filter is an indispensable module to protect the equipment from outside electromagnetic interference effects as well as to suppress unwanted emissions from the equipment. Although the topology of the EMI filters is well established, the components behavior and the input impedance of the equipment largely determine the performance of the EMI filter. Stability problems may occur during the use of EMI filters at the input of DC-DC converters. In this project, these issues will be investigated and an EMI Power filter matched with a specific DC-DC converter will be designed, built and tested. The transient protection will also be integrated. Guidelines for future design will be developed.
- [FÜ] Investigation of the Behaviour of Different Cable Shield Terminations under Electromagnetic Coupling
- Shielded cables are used to protect the equipment from outside electromagnetic interference. The integrity of shielding is of paramount importance to obtain maximum performance from these cables. On the other hand, different type of cable shield terminations are preferred without rational in practical applications. The aim of this project is to measure and compare the performance of different cable shield configurations under the electromagnetic cable. For this purpose, different applicable test setups will be investigated and a suitable reference test setup will be developed. The setup will be validated by the simulation.
- [FÜ] Development of a Mobile Application for Quick EMC Prediction
- In electromagnetic compatibility work, several first order engineering approximations are used to qualitatively diagnose the coupling phenomena. In this project, these approximations formulas will be packed in a mobile application as an aid to EMC engineers and technicians.
Project topics to be supervised by M. Hakan Hocaoğlu:
- [MHH] Design of touch and step potential measurement device
- Touch and step potentials is a phenomenon which occur around the electrical substations during the earth faults. Touch and step potentials should be tested during the commissioning of the substation and every two years after the commissioning. The measurement procedure is defined in IEEE 81 standard and is based on injecting current into system with different frequencies. Designed device should satisfy IEEE 81 and local earthing standard.
- [MHH] Design of mutual coupling measurement systems
- Wireless power transfer can be treated as a special case of air core power transformers, thus coupling efficiency is an important parameter. The project is based on mechanic and electrical design for measurement of the coupling coefficient of various wiring structures. The project should include mechanical design for the adjustment of distance and misalignments between the windings. Electrical design should be capable for variable frequency measurements. (This project can include partners from mechatronics department and can accommodate four people (Two for mechanic design).
- [MHH] Design of Lithium battery management system
- Due to their sensitive natures, cells of lithium batteries should be balanced during charge and discharge cycles. Project should apply any known active balancing systems during charge and discharge.
- [MHH] State of charge monitoring systems for lithium batteries
- State of charge should be monitored with any well-known method i.e. coulomb count.
- [MHH] State of health monitoring systems for lithium batteries
- The project should include constant monitoring cell current voltage and temperature.
- [MHH] Designing an EXCEL based tool for analysing interaction between pipelines and power cables.
- [MHH] Designing an EXCEL based tool for analysing interaction between pipelines and overhead lines
- Information for the last two items; interaction between pipelines and power lines, mainly, depends on physical layout of the pipes and lines. Thus, project will be based on definition on physical layout of both system through Excel GUI. Calculations will be carried out CIGRE document 095. Students are also expected to verify their result using ATP-EMTP.
Project topics to be supervised by Nedim Tutkun:
- [NT] Automatic Wireless Level Control System
- Level control systems are an important part of most industrial and residential setups. The objective of this project is to Design and build a prototype water level control system for residential use based on the Internet of Things (IoT) concept. A typical configuration of such a system would involve four modules: two sensor modules for tank and reservoir, an actuator module to start and stop water pump and, a central monitoring and control station module. The communication between these modules will take place wirelessly. The sensor modules will have the option solar power for locations where no electricity is available. The deliverable for this project will be price competitive, working prototype.
- [NT] Optimal Power Point Tracking System for Solar PV Generation
- The project aims at designing an optimal power point tracking system for solar. The system is capable of maximum energy from solar panel without any mechanical tracking towards sun. Maximum Power Point Tracking, frequently referred to as MPPT, is an electronic system that operates the Photovoltaic (PV) modules in a manner that allows the modules to produce all the power they are capable of. MPPT is not a mechanical tracking system that “physically moves” the modules to make them point more directly at the sun. MPPT is a fully electronic system that varies the electrical operating point of the modules so that the modules are able to deliver maximum available power.
- [NT] Solar Energy Management System Project
- This project distributes the power which is produced from renewable energy sources. Once the capacity & efficiency of the solar panel is increased, then designing the solar grid is possible to solve the electricity problems. This grid can distribute the electricity in the areas of urban & rural so that electrical problems can be solved. However, to maintain and store the energy of this system, it requires a huge inverter to store solar energy which is variable largely. So, to overcome this issue, solar grids are designed and connected in parallel with the current grids by the management.
- [NT] Solar Energy Usage for Residential Homes
- The solar energy project for home is designed to generate AC power to a home for providing the required power to operate appliances, gadgets, lighting systems, refrigerators, computers, mixers, ACs, fans, etc. The essential components used in this system are the solar panel, battery, inverter, and solar power system. Whenever the energy from the sun falls on the solar panel, then the energy can be absorbed through the photovoltaic cells. The energy conversion from solar to electrical in the solar cells can be done with the help of silicon semiconductors using the effect of PV. The converted energy is in the form of DC so that it can directly charge the battery. The battery includes DC that is transmitted to an inverter to convert it into AC. Now the AC power is transmitted to the mains to provide the power to all the appliances in the home.
- [NT] Water Purification using Solar Energy
- There are different water sources available for drinking water in the world, but the available water in many areas is not pure, brackish, and saline. So, for water purification, there are different methods that are available in the market namely, sand filters, removal of fluoride, overturn osmosis plants, etc. To overcome this problem, here is a system namely solar energy-based water purification system which works on the principle of reverse osmosis. This project uses renewable energy like solar energy. The main reason to use this energy is cheap, abundant, pollution less, etc. In the power failure case, the water purifier system continuously works by using solar energy. This project uses 8051 microcontrollers to stop the overflow of water and this water purifier is applicable in the areas of rural and remote wherever the availability of electricity is not there and natural disaster places. By using this project, the salt content within the water can be reduced.
- [NT] IoT based Monitoring System Using Solar Energy
- Power plants based on solar energy must be monitored to get the optimum output power. This system helps in recovering efficient output power while checking the faulty solar panels. This retrieves efficient output power from power plants while monitoring for faulty solar panels, dust on panels & connections because these issues will affect the performance of solar. So, this proposed system allows the monitoring system based on solar power using the internet from anywhere. This project monitors the panel constantly and transmits the output power towards the IoT system using the internet.
- [NT] Wireless Charger Using Solar Energy
- This project is used to design a wireless charger based on solar energy. For that, a small solar panel can be arranged on the mobile phone to charge independently without wires. Once the mobile phone is exposed to sunlight then it starts charging. The main advantages of this project are, it doesn’t use any wire for charging and energy can be conserved. This energy is very famous because of the abundance as well as free energy. So, customer’s electricity bills, as well as money, will be saved. This energy is very clean as well as generates no dangerous waste like other resources of power generation.
- [NT] Solar Energy based Detection of Forest Fire
- Most of the disasters that occur in the forest are fire accidents that affect the environmental impact. The main intension of this project is to detect the fire in the forest. The proposed system uses two modules namely the MAM (monitoring area module) & the FAM (forest area module). These two modules are divided into five modules again like sensors, serial communication with ZigBee, harvesting of solar energy with MPPT, web server based on PC. The first 3 modules come under the forest area type module. These modules are connected and arrange in the forest and the webserver is developed for area monitoring. The result of this system reveals different sensors used & the temperature sensor develops the levels of security in the surrounding areas of forests. The efficiency can be improved to 85% & the webserver can reduce the cost & weight of the whole system.
Project topics to be supervised by Serhan Yarkan:
- [SY] Harmonic analysis with linear methods on embedded systems
- [SY] Digital controlled FM transmitter
- [SY] Acoustic direction finder
- [SY] Relaying TV signals with wireless relay
- [SY] Power/cable network diagnosis (cable fault finder, cable network probe, etc.)
- [SY] Home appliances power profile identification
- [SY] Universal TV remote control
- [SY] Visible Light Communication
- [SY] Digital demodulation for known standards
- [SY] Laser Microphone
- [SY] Celestial object tracking and focusing with electromechanical system
Project topics to be supervised by Vedat Tavas:
Each project can be taken only one times.
- [VT] Project 1
- Design and fabricate your own arduino–mega board with an extra a memory chip at least 256KB.
- [VT] Project 2
- Design and fabricate your own arduino–nano board with wi-fi and bluetooth properties.
- [VT] Project 3
- Design an electromechanical system, that goes staight by using PID controller. Also the system has its own precautions not to hit any obstacle and find a proper direction to continue.
- [VT] Project 4
- Implementation of calculator with FPGA.
- [VT] Project 5
- Elevator system controlled with PLC: An elevator model with at least 4 floor.
- [VT] Project 6
- Home Security system: Controler and sensors must communicate wirelessly and microcontroler system must be designed by yourself. (Any on shelf uC board will not accepted).
- [VT] Project 7
- Autopark Automation system: Controler and sensors must communicate wirelessly and microcontroler system must be designed by yourself. Also designer must prevent the wrong parking.